Sunday, March 13, 2016

After so many diets and exercise plans to improve our health without much success, I decided to try the Vegan diet. I must admit when our friends first told us of their recently adopted dietary habits I was intrigued. I thought this would be an opportunity for a healthy change. I thought well they will be visiting for a week or two I will maintain an open mind and see how this works. I can pretty much do anything for a week or two.

Did you know there are differences between being a vegetarian and a vegan?  Did you know there are different types of vegetarians? I had no idea. I thought I would still be eating eggs, cheese, butter and things that did not involve the killing of animals. I did out my refrigerator and pantry and donated the food. Little did I know there was more to donate.

Here is what I learned:
·         Lacto-Ovo – they eat dairy and eggs and are the most common
·         Lacto – they eat dairy but no eggs
·         Ovo – I guess they eat the eggs but no dairy
·         Vegans – they do no eat dairy, eggs or any product that come from animals

The rule to follow “if it has a mother or eyes” don’t eat it.

It was surprisingly easy to find vegan food. I did have to bring my glasses and at time need a magnifying lens. An easy cheat is look for the allergens and stay away from anything listing milk or eggs.

Another good motivator is a few documentaries:



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. =) Glad to hear your going veg-friendly. Will Billy-Bud be joining you on this journey? The health benefits are so great besides weight loss. You guys are so lucky to have a place like Loves Cafe so close.
    Be sure to read the book "The China Study". It's very controversial and enlightening. Also Google Dr. John Mcdougall MD. And if Mark can find a copy of The Starch Solution on his shopping rounds to I would love to add it to my library of books on food as medicine. We will have to have a juicing party next time I'm in town.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he is joining me. I watched several documentaries in which the China Study was referenced. I am looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete